Monday, May 3, 2010

Did We Break The Record?

Did the Mac Pac break the Guiness Book Record for the most BMW motorcycles in one paradew formation? Complete details will be available within 24 hours. But I was compelled to make a statement now.

Never have I been prouder to be a member of any social group than I was yesterday...

The Mac Pac (the premier chartered BMW riding club serving southeast Pennsylvania) represents the epitome of fellowship, friendship, social consciousness. riding expertise, and technological know-how. I cannot tell you how choked up I got watching our guys (and women) coming flying into the Montgomeryville Cycle Center parking lot on Sunday, May 2nd. While expectations ran high that we could beat an existing Guiness Book record, something else was evident. The infectious smiles of the Mac Pac instantly revealed the delight of sharing a kind of private joke... A joke that starts out with, "So a handful of guys who ride German motorcycles (known to be favorites of the barbed wire in the jockstrap crowd), got together and decided..." And it became instantly apparent that while breaking the record would be fun, just getting together on a scale like this was historic enough.

And every member of the Mac Pac started the conversation the same way, "What can I do to help?" There were ten volunteers for each position.

But then things moved to a higher level... Riders starting throttling in from all over. They came from Connecticut, Virginia, South Jersey, Lake Placid/New York, Bayonne/New Jersey, Queens/New York, from west of Harrisburg, Pa, from Maryland, and from Delaware. Rogers George (holding dual citizenship in the Mac Pac and the Mid-Atlantic Riders group) came roaring in with his contingent. Don Eilenberger blew in from South Jersey with guys from the Jersey Shore Riders and the New Sweden Group. Mike Cantwell drifted down from the Adirondacks, NY (about 90 minutes from Montreal, having taken an unintended Google Maps tour of Princeton, NJ). Some started while it was still dark to make this event — and rode over a hundred miles to help pull it off.

Each had several things in common... They all had that infectious smile... They all shared the same private joke... They are all part of an incredibly unique motorcycle riding community. It was then I realized that they had extended those same credentials to me. And considering how I ride, I am proud to be part of the punch-line.

Yesterday would not have been possible without the leadership and participation of the Delaware Valley Riders, The New Jersey Shore Riders, The New Sweden Riders (NJ), The Mid-Atlantic Riders, and over hundred of independent BMW riders, whom we all met for the first time. Also, it came to my attention that Brian Rathgen, publisher of Backroads Magazine, also alerted the masses to this event. Backroads Magazine is a very interesting publication that appeals to the riders of all marques, with spot-on ride reports, stories, op-ed pieces, and technical reviews that hit the mark without requiring the subscriber to read between the lines.

I would like to thank the registration crew who made the sign-in process utterly painless yesterday.

They were:

• Patti Minner, who just got her biker’s permit.
• Gordon Till, parts manager for the Valley Forge Harley Davidson dealership
• David Crank, who rode in on a pristine Vellocette (which couldn’t be counted)
• Rogers George, who tells jokes with punch-lines that require footnotes.
• Kimi Bush, a real firecracker, was a big help in distributing the door prizes, (which were ten $25 gift certificates from Montgomeryville Cycle Center, courtesy of Bob Jones).

Another unspoken hero of the day was James “Big Jim” Ellenberg, his wife (the lovely Dot), and his son Alex, who baked well over 1,000 chocolate chip, pecan, and peanut butter cookies, and donated them to the event. “Big Jim’s” cookies are world famous for a big taste (a dozen weigh well over a pound), and will soon be available commercially.

I would also like to thank Bob Jones, who worried terribly that the heat would kill me and that I might die on his property. After repeatedly advising me that I could move the registration tables into the air conditioning, he rolled out a fan that must have been 16-feet in diameter, set it to “Force Five,” and had it blow straight on me.

In truth, I did almost nothing for this event. But I would be remiss if I did not call your attention the effort extended by Todd Trombore and David Case. Todd was the voice of exuberance. David was the persona of practicality. I was ballast. There was talk going around that we should make this an annual event. Why not? We should set a combined goal next year (between five of the local clubs) to break 500 motorcycles. That would be a pisser, too.

Complete details of yesterday's event (see previous blog) will be posted late tonight.

Fondest regards,

Jack • reep • Toad
AKA The Lindbergh Baby (Mac Pac)
AKA Vindak8r (Motorcycle Views)
AKA The Chamberlain -- PS (With A Shrug)

17 comments:

Woody said...

I was a blast, but more importantly, how much money did we raise for the kids?

MattPie said...

Woody: yeah, I haven't heard much about the charity portion of the ride.

I'm just hoping I didn't leave too much of a gap and screw everything up.

Unknown said...

Jack:

I wished I could have been there. Next Year could you buy me a F800gs for the ride. We could leave it at your place

thanks
bob
Wet Coast Scootin

BeemerGirl said...

WoooHooo!!! It sounded like great fun and camaraderie was had by all. Can't wait to hear the official word.

Conchscooter said...

I told you organizing the sock drawer was good practice.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Woody:

We have received numerous requests from folks who were unable to make the ride who would like to donate nevertheless. The cash tally will be taken next week.

I didn't see you at the ride on Sunday.

Fondest rgards,
Jack • reep • Toad

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Matt:

Please see above for the donations tally. I was delighted that you took me up on the free breakfast offer, before leaving us to ride with Earle. I will never forget your cheery, "Thanks for the omlet, so long fat boy," as you pulled away.

For those just tuning in, Matt (a great guy) suckered me for the morning comestibles then announced he wanted to ride up with the "big kids," who'd be dragging pegs on the way in.

It was my pleasure, Matt.

Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Bobscoot:

I wished you were there too!

There are many things that the average Canadian must forego to live in Paradise. One of them is the zany Mac Pac type of ride. I suggest you buy a K75, move to Lancaster, and change the name of your blog to "Riding In Excessive Summer Heat, With Just A Few Days Of Rain."

But you would have a K75! And never again would there be rain in your life. But you would be troubled with thousands of women lifting up their shirts as you ride by.

Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Beemer Girl:

It was an absolute pisser. Exhausting... But a pisser.

Fondest rgards,
Jack • reep • Toad

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Conchscooter:

There was a Triumph rally held next door, in a phone booth.

Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisated Roads

Unknown said...

Jack:

Re: M/C Parking

Lots of media coverage and on TV

http://vanbikeparking.com/

do a google and you will see lots of stuff

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a great time! Sorry that you are a fellow heat-sufferer. It's kind of like being benched at the big game.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Gainesville:

Even though it is early in the year, the air conditioning in this house is already set to 72º. (It used to be 68º.) I get cranky at 85º and rabid at anything over 90º.

Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisted Roads

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Gainesville:

Even though it is early in the year, the air conditioning in this house is already set to 72º. (It used to be 68º.) I get cranky at 85º and rabid at anything over 90º.

Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisted Roads

Unknown said...

Jackie:

after we hung up the phone, the google site had a server problem and aborted my upload. Had to start again from square ONE.

It finally got posted 10:30p BC time. I got home just before 6p and had to make a label change. from then it took another 1-1/2 hrs to render. then I had to upload to youtube twice.

so in summary I spent 4-1/2 hours tonight, plus at least 2 hours the night before to produce this 8 minute 1080HD video, mixing footage from two videocams

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

Electra Glide In Blue said...

Jack'
Sounds like this event was a hoot.

I searched through the official BMW dictionary for "paradew" and found nothing...is this a secret BMW code word?
Harley riders just want to know.

sgsidekick said...

Can hardly wait to see what the ride was like!!