Tuesday, May 13, 2008

No Pain, No Gain

Every ride I start begins with two distinct jolts of pain. The first comes from attempting to mount the bike. It takes three or four false swings before I can get my right leg over the saddle. And this model of BMW, a 1995 K75, is one of the lowest machines ever made by the German marque. The second occurs with bringing my left foot up to the peg. This time the pain shoots through my left hip. The source of the pain is my family curse -- arthritis.

The jolt from the hip is so bad that its anticipation causes me to delay in getting on the bike. I’m just not anxious to hurt. The restricted movement in that joint causes me to snap my left leg up, using resistance against the right one. This is a peculiar way to get started, but it does allow me to ride the bike. (And there are some days when I can’t do this very easily, and it take a few tries to get up to peg too.) What I cannot do is bring my left foot to the peg on the fly. And this makes it dificult to do anything like an up-hill left turn against traffic.

My doctor has prescribed the anti-inflammatory “Mobic,” which helps in a passive sense. Passive in that the relief is not overwhelming. Yet not taking these pills for a week brings out aches in a dozen other places, however. I am supposed to have blood work done often to make sure this medication is not having an adverse affect on my liver or kidneys. I was originally on Celebrex, which worked like a miracle for about three months.
This is my 1995 BMW K75 "Fire Balls." This is the low version of this bike.
This seat is still 4 inches taller than the saddle on my girl's Honda Aero Shadow

I was taken off Celebrex as I am somewhat fat in the ass and a more likely candidate for a cardio-event. (Doesn’t the expression cardio-event sound like a fucking rodeo, or something?)

Some days are better than others. I rode 237-miles last Sunday. The first 129 miles went off without a hitch. I didn’t feel the need to put my legs down once.Yet I did stop three times on the ride home. Each stop ran around ten minutes, and I didn’t get off the bike. I hit 80 on a regular basis and topped 96 mph on one stretch. The K75 is knowbn as the gentleman’s express. It is certainly that.

Sunday was peculiar as far as the weather went. It was too cold to wear mesh, but too warm to wear the ballistic stuff without taking out the vent sections. By the time I hit the first toll booth (Valley Forge), I had to pull over and open the sleeve vents too.

I met my family at Michael’s Riverside Restaurant in Lyndhurst, for Mother’s Day Lunch. Michael’s is a great place. Try the New Zealand Mussels if they have them. And get the tartuffo for desert.

©Copyright Jack Riepe 2008
AKA The Lindbegh Baby (Mac-Pac)
AKA Vindak8r (Delphi)
AKA The Chamberlain -- PS (Perdition’s Socks)

http://jackriepe.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack, That was short and sweet, somewhat abrupt closing. I'll bet you had the itch to ride and quit writing. LOL...
Tony

Anonymous said...

Jack,

I'm impressed as hell when I think about what you go through to ride. Now quit whining and start packing for that end of month trip. You're gonna need to find extra room for two bottles - one with pills, and one with something to wash them down with.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Tony:

This is a busy week for me regarding my business. The fact is that I am writing like a fool all day and seeing double at night. I wanted to post a few thoughts that were in my mind as a spacer for the next BuRP Rally installment. The fact ist he ride home was uneventful.

I will say this: Hunter S. Thompson described the Sausage Monster, the beast that turns riders into sausage. It lives on the New Jersey Turnpike. Mother's Day traffic was a bitch. Circumstances required aggresive driving.

Pulling out onto the turnpike southbound, a limo driver suddenly hesitated and slowed down dramatically pulling out into a clear lane. I was accelerating behind him. I never hesitated, swerved, and passed him on the right. This all occurred directly in front of a New Jersey State Trooper. I took my place in traffic -- at the speed limit -- and the cop went straight past me.

Nice to hear from you. Mack is having back surgery tomorrow.

Jack

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Steve:

That trip is now on hold for me for various reasons, none of which are good. Some riding days are odd. For example, my knees felt pretty good on Monday. But after walking a few hundred yards on Tuesday, I was damned near crippled again. I used a cane to move around the house last night.

Fondest regards,
Jack

Anonymous said...

Jack, sorry to hear that you are still fighting that same battle. Could you not use a low box,a few inches high to mount your ride ? Just enough help to reduce some of the pain you deal with.
W.Virginia in October has bridge over a gorge for free basers to jump from. Apparently this is a big weekend. Go to W.Virginia/bridges and you will see it.
Say hi to leslie for us.

EZ Ryder PS 14

Unknown said...

I sometimes begin to worry about chronic injuries and creeping arthiritus affecting my riding. Arthiritus runs deep and hard throughout my family. Thanks for keeping it going.

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Jeffry:

Insanity runs pretty deep in my family too. Almost as deep as the arthritis. My friend Mack Harrell went into the hospital with a back problem. As it turns out, the problem wasn't in his back at all, but his ass. All of the muscles had turned to lead.

You know what I say to arthritis? Never give up... Never surrender. Thanking you for dropping by and leaving a comment. Keep smiling!

Jack

Jack Riepe said...

Dave:

My old pal Ricky made a device for me called the BMW Schteppin Feetz. It is a small wooden step that attaches to the handlebars with a chain. After mounting the bike, I haul up the step and put it in my top case. I just can't bring myself to use this yet.

I'm expecting you to join me on at least one crab house trip to New Jersey.

Fondest regards,
Jack

Sojourner's Moto Tales said...

Jack, I feel for you. The description of what it takes for you to ride is painful to read even! Is there anything else you can do? Would a BMW cruiser provide a lower seat to make getting on and off easier? Is that an option? Keep fighting!

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Sharon:

The BMW Chrome Head option is on my mind lately. While these machines are not impossible to find, they aren't exactly what I had in mind. Unfortunately, my circumstance don't lend themselves to fast purchase any time soon either. It's going to be a case of grin and bear it for a while.

Thanks for stopping by.

Jack